A loan app known as To U Loan App is currently being used by scammers to defraud unsuspecting victims. The app is advertised just like other online loan apps, but it does not give any loans. Instead, it is used to defraud users by asking them to pay an upfront fee in order to receive a loan.
The scam works as follows:
- The scammers create ads for the To U Loan App and run them on various platforms, such as Google Play Store and social media.
- Once someone clicks on the ad and downloads the app, they are asked to provide their personal information, such as their name, address, and BVN number.
- The scammers then offer the victim a large loan amount, such as NGN 300,000. However, they require the victim to pay an upfront token processing fee, such as NGN 5,000, in order to have the loan disbursed.
- Once the victim pays the upfront fee, the app simply redirects them to the ads of other loan providers. The victim never receives the promised loan.
It is important to note that legitimate loan apps do not ask for upfront payments. If you are asked to pay an upfront fee in order to receive a loan, it is likely a scam.
What other victims are saying about To U loan app
Kunle Adedeji wrote, “This app is simply a scam. They asked for security payment of N4,650 after confirming that a loan of 300k has been approved. They refused to disburse after the payment of the security payment. I have sent several emails to them without response. The app should not be on play store at all.”
stanley Nwaizu wrote, “Please my good people you should run from this app, it’s a scam, they will get you to pay some money before loaning you the requested amount, i paid the sum of 4550, up till now reponse, i will make sure that account details will be flagged, i won’t let this fly, i must see to the end, qnd make sure these criminals are brought to book.”
Sarafa Adekunle wrote, “This app is a big scam. They asked for security fee of # 5,499 and after making the payment they acknowledge receipt and an email will be sent stating that “it takes up to 3 or 5 working days to check your credit record and after that you will not hear from them again. I still have a prove of payment. This app must be remove from playstore before they tarnish your image.”
How to detect a fake loan app
- Loan apps asking for KYC information including your BVN and asking you to bind your ATM card to your account is normal, but when an app is asking you to make upfront payments or pay for processing fee, such an app is most likely a scam.
- Always read other customer’s review on play store or read reviews on websites like this before downloading any loan app.
- If an app does not have a contact phone number, or the phone number is not functional, that is a redflag.
- Pay attention to fake reviews on Google playstore, most of this apps pay spammers to write reviews for them. Most of the reviews will be from foreign accounts and will mostly give the app a five star without any reasonable comment.
- Dont part with money for what ever reason before getting your loan.
- there are a lots of loan sharks operating without regulation in Nigeria, know that Playstore does not rigorously verify this apps, it is up to you to do your research before doing business with them.
Here are some tips to avoid being scammed by the To U Loan App:
- Do not download the app. If you see an ad for the To U Loan App, do not download the app.
- Be wary of loan apps that offer high loan amounts to first-time borrowers. Legitimate loan apps typically offer smaller loan amounts to first-time borrowers.
- Do not pay any upfront fees. Legitimate loan apps do not ask for upfront payments.
If you have already downloaded the To U Loan App and paid an upfront fee, you should contact your bank and report the scam. You should also contact the police.
By following these tips, you can help protect yourself from being scammed by the To U Loan App.
Is To U loan app legit?
What is To U loan customer care number?